In its leagues and development programs, North Toronto Soccer Club depends on volunteer coaches, managers and convenors, and a staff of qualified technical coaches.
Assessment of Risk
The first principle of screening is risk management, which simply means “What could go wrong here” and “How do we avoid it?” Risk management involves looking at the possibilities of loss or injury that might arise in programs, activities and services and taking steps to stop, minimize, prevent or eliminate them all together. This includes the Club’s obligation to take all reasonable measures to care for and protect their participants from harm. The need to screen an applicant is dictated by the nature of the position and its inherent level of risk. When determining risk consider such factors as the participant, the environment, the nature of the activity, the level of supervision and the nature of the relationship.
For example, a high risk position is defined as a position in which staff members, volunteers, or Board members are in direct contact with, or provide direct service to, vulnerable individuals, and in particular when the applicant will be in a position of trust, power or influence and whose contact is unsupervised and/or takes place off site.
Definition of Positions:
The various levels of play in the sport have been ranked according to the level of risk associated with that position and the appropriate screening measures have been assigned to each level of risk.
High Risk Positions:
- Competitive team Coaches and Managers: Rep, Select and All-Star Teams
- Development camp leaders and staff: Indoor development camps, summer camp and academy programs
Medium Risk Positions:
- Recreational team volunteer parent coaches, U18 divisions (U16-U18)
- Non-parent volunteer coaches in all recreational divisions U4 to U15
- Recreational division convenors, U18 divisions
Low Risk Positions:
- Recreational team volunteer officials, U15 and younger
- Shall never be alone with a player
- Shall not be responsible for transportation to/from practices/games/tournaments
- Shall not be responsible for water or snacks
- Shall be a role model - no drugs/alcohol/smoking or abusive language at practices/games/tournaments
- Shall comply with the Dress Code as defined by the Club
- Shall ADHERE to OSA and Club policies
- Shall embrace Club values, principles, and policy as per Club Constitution
- Shall demonstrate the ability to set and maintain standards for players (i.e. respect, self-discipline, fair play)
Application Form (with references)
Interview by Selection Committee
References Checked Out
Police Records Check
Evaluation by Club
Application Form (Reference Checks Optional)
Police Records Check