Become a Referee
Becoming a referee is a great way to get more involved in the game of soccer while learning important skills, making new friends and, of course, earning some money.
The club accepts a limited number of new referees every year, depending on the size of our programs and the number of referees returning from the previous year. Our preference is to provide refereeing opportunities to committed local youth (at least 14 years of age) who are currently playing in an NTSC program.
To referee with NTSC, you must have obtained the ENTRY LEVEL certification at an Ontario Soccer clinic; however, being a certified referee is not a guarantee of employment with NTSC.
Referees are responsible for obtaining their certification on their own, through one of the clinics offered by Ontario Soccer. Information about these clinics may be found on the Ontario Soccer website. Unfortunately the club will be unable to accept everyone who applies. However, certification through Ontario Soccer does make an individual eligible to serve as a referee anywhere in the province (depending on one's level of certification).
Applying to become a referee
The goal of the NTSC referee development program is, whenever possible, to provide refereeing opportunities for youth within the North Toronto community, to expand and strengthen their connection to the game of soccer. While we thank all new applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Reporting to the Club Head Referee, referees are responsible for officiating recreational games in accordance with the NTSC Laws of the Game and reporting game scores and records of discipline in a timely manner. Referees may also be called upon to perform other duties at the field, or offered assignments to competitive games, at the discretion of the Club Head Referee.
- All referees must be certified with Ontario Soccer
- All new referee applicants who are not yet certified must successfully complete a certification course prior to May 1 of the current year. (any offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of the course)
- Referees must be at least 14 years of age as of May 1
- Experience as a soccer player (particularly with NTSC) in considered an asset
- Residence in the North Toronto community is considered an asset
- New referees will need to be available at least one weeknight and one weekend morning during the spring session (May-June)
- New referees should also be available for assignments during the summer session (July-September)
- Referees need to be punctual, responsible and act in a professional manner when at the field and performing their duties
- Referees will need to become familiar with the NTSC Laws of the Game prior to their first assignment
Applications for new referees are currently closed. Thanks to all who applied. Selected applicants will be contacted shortly.
Thank you for your interest!